Wednesday 14 January 2009

People Power - Recent referenda make politicians look out of touch

I had a pretty good idea that the the Manchester road congestion charge referendum would result in a massive 'No'. Ah! you might say, he would say that now the result is out. If you ask some of my colleagues they will tell you I was predicting a big 'No' in Trafford but I was unsure about the rest of Greater Manchester - although I should have guessed. How did I know? quite simple really - I listened to what voters in Ashton-Upon-Mersey were telling me and my other ward colleagues, Councillors Rigby and Whetton. During a Saturday morning in November last we struggled to find anyone who was in favour!

So, to my point. Government and by that I mean Ministers, MP's and Councillors, need to listen more carefully to what local residents and citizens are saying. The Irish told their government what they could do with the European constitution, The Danes told the EU what to do with the Euro, the people of the NE of England told Prescott what he could do with his proposed regional assembly and now the good voters of Greater Manchester have told the Government where they can stick their 'tax on going to work'. I hope the NHS listen very carefully to what people are saying about the proposal to add fluoride to the drinking supplies in the North West!!

Up the plebiscite!!

1 comment:

  1. It was an inspirational decision by your beloved leader, Susan Williams, to oppose the congestion charge so vigorously. Without her wonderful leadership & masterful political touch, the congestion charge would probably have been levied this week, and at £20 per adult per journey! She is surely destined for great things, Councillor, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete